Wednesday, September 24, 2008

PRNEWS(Troy Oldham)

I found the funniest article on a blog about PR today. It was basically this guy that has been involved in PR for years and years telling the world how easy it is to do PR. He then goes on to chastize journalists, and I quote: "To journalists . . . don’t be so full of yourselves, stop being so snooty . . .and remember - - it’s a two way street. We can’t put bread on the table without you and you can’t put bread on the table without us! Enough said." Apparently he has some qualms with journalists that he has worked with in the past. The most ironic part of the whole article is in the first paragraph though. "Just to put things in context . . . I have been working in public affairs for close to forty years going back to my Armed Forces Network days after combat in Vietnam. I’ve worked with major corporations and now the federal government and consider myself in the top 20% for sure . . . .professionally." If that is not blowing your own horn, I don't know what is. So to him I say stop being snooty.

While I agree with many that the Public Relations degree should be part of the school of business, I can definitely see why putting it in the journalism department better prepares you as a writer in the field of PR. I have improved drastically in my writing in just the 3 short semesters of the program.

No comments: